A dream of a Red hat linux for desktop PC ?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Feb 23 19:00:23 UTC 2007

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Would Red hat Fedora Core be a Desktop OS link Ubuntu that provide a
> longer life period and not be testing version?
[snip]

Preference is the only real issue.  That is a good thing.

yes, there is a company behind Fedora that has a very fixed motive for
what it wants out of Fedora.  When there is a conflict of interest
between RedHat and the Fedora community, the community CAN win, but
seldom does.  That can be both good and bad.

Another thing to consider is: For professional Systems Administrators
faced with administrating RedHat systems, Fedora is not only a good look
at what is next, its a breath of fresh air.  The corporate constraints
are non existent and I can watch DVDs if I want to, and play with all
the latest development tools.  There is simply no need to play with that
stuff on servers.

As far as general desktops for mom and dad and schools and libraries:
Most of the Linux Distros would do.

As far as the technical user or developer?  Is Fedora the best choice?
I don't think that there is a good answer to that.

There has been long discussion of it here as a result of the comments
made public by ESR.  I don't wish to open that discussion again here,
but simply offer that the question of Desktop Linux is not nor will ever
be simple to answer.

Here are a few of the questions that cannot be answered:

Gnome vs KDE vs enlightenment vs ...

Firefox vs Opera vs Konqueror ...

OpenOffice vs GoogleApps vs the K apps vs ...

SYSV startups vs BSD startups

kernel binary blobs vs open drivers vs NDA specification opensource drivers

.pkg vs .rpm vs .deb vs ...

There are many others.

The good news is that all of these represent choice, challenge, growth,
learning, and passion.

The bad news is that all of these represent bias.

Bias is the basis of change and continued development.  That is a good
thing.

Bias is the basis of unreasonable opinions, untenable positions,
prejudice, etc.

But, as long as it remains a big wide world, fraught with dangers, and
rife with beauty, it will remain interesting and compelling.

Pick your poison and jump in, the water is HOT!