RPM Database Corruption

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Feb 23 19:02:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 chris at idlelion.net wrote:

> I'm thinking that without some kind of existing database or repository of
> installed RPM's that there's just no way to know what you've got installed,
> short of getting all the headers of every version of every (recent) package
> and checking if those files exist in the expected places. No wonder there's
> no tool for that.

There's /var/log/rpmpkgs, a dump of the names, versions, and archs of all
installed RPMs.  The dump is taken nightly and rotated weekly by system
cron jobs.

So if you then have all listed RPMs in a directory, you could (in
principle, at least), rpm -ivh --justdb * and get your database back. Then
you could rpm -Va and see what's broke.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences