Plea for upgrade capability

don vogt donvogt2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 20:45:39 UTC 2007

Background:
 I started with Linux with slackware downloaded on 14
(?) floppy disks by ftp from MIT. I changed to Redhat
and then dropped off Linux to do genealogy for a
couple of years. (now we have GRAMPS and maybe I
wouldn't leave Linux today) When I came back, I
started again with Core 4. I was quite happy with that
until Legacy went belly up. All I really wanted for
updates was security updates. I am just a desktop user
so my needs should be relatively small. I did a yum
upgrade to core5 with few problems, apparently caused
by mismatches in repos for xine.
 It seems to me that if one could do a realible
upgrade the loss of Legacy wouldn't hurt so much and
fedora would be more useful to at least the desktop
users, if not the administrators.
 I admit that I don't really understand what problems
I am asking to be solved. It might help ESR's problems
too.
 Thank you all .