Plea for upgrade capability

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 23 20:53:01 UTC 2007

don vogt wrote:
> Background:
>  I started with Linux with slackware downloaded on 14
> (?) floppy disks by ftp from MIT. I changed to Redhat
> and then dropped off Linux to do genealogy for a
> couple of years. (now we have GRAMPS and maybe I
> wouldn't leave Linux today) When I came back, I
> started again with Core 4. I was quite happy with that
> until Legacy went belly up. All I really wanted for
> updates was security updates. I am just a desktop user
> so my needs should be relatively small. I did a yum
> upgrade to core5 with few problems, apparently caused
> by mismatches in repos for xine.
>  It seems to me that if one could do a realible
> upgrade the loss of Legacy wouldn't hurt so much and
> fedora would be more useful to at least the desktop
> users, if not the administrators.
>  I admit that I don't really understand what problems
> I am asking to be solved. It might help ESR's problems
> too.

There is some infrastructure like the new updated system being written
which would solve some of the usual update issues. There also has been
some consensus on "supporting" folks installing the last test version of
Fedora 7 and updating to the general release using yum.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUpdateSystem

It wont however solve ESR's problem since he rm'ed a critical library
while running the development version of Fedora.

Rahul