ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Feb 23 22:55:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:29:47 +1000,
>  Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Alan wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but again the US cant enforce its laws against other countries.
>> it is not the world govt/world police, and about time they woke up smelt
>> the damned coffee and realised that.
>
> Unfortunately for the rest of the world, it can because it has the largest
> military and a number of other counties' leaders are willing to make deals
> when promised access to the US econmy (thiugh they seem to usually end up
> getting screwed when they do this).

Oh I agree the recent FTA between US and Australia is purely in americas
favour and sweet F-ALL for Australians, I am disgusted the Australian
Govt signed the deal. I don't deal with US and wont until they 'fair up'
However the FTA does no require me to bow down to US law.

Imagine the nightmare... every person of every country would have to know
the laws of every other country, including those 500 population countries
nobody has ever heard of, just so they wont infringe, uh no way...

>>> In addition a US citizen providing the URL of the livna repository is
>>> committing an offence (The 2600 magazine case)

Thats a resident of US, I'm not :)
If I did that, the worse that could happen, in US is that a US court could
order any post I made that is located on a US server be removed from the
US server, they cant order removal from a EU or AU one.

> Most likely US corporate interests have influenced your country's laws.
> For example if you are in the EU, members are supposed to be enacting DMCA
> like laws. Software patents could still end up being forced upon EU members
> as well.

Australian laws are based on the UK system, precendences set in the UK
courts have far greater weight then precendences set in US and have done
so for many years, apart from the FTA which obviously was a suck deal to
keep someone happy about something, the rest was a joke to advantage US
and I cant wait for a change in Govt (likely this year) to fix the wrong
doings (since the opposition was completely against it).

--
Cheers
Res

"We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie