Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 03:14:32 UTC 2007

Chris Mohler wrote:
> [snip]
>> Fedora has to
>> compete with a one-disk install of Windows XP, that can be installed
>> in an hour with no babysitting. Fedora installs require one to switch
>> disk three or four times.
>
> No way.  Win XP comes with NOTHING.  You can't even open ZIP file. FC
> includes thousands(?) of programs.  Not a fair comparison.
>
> Since FC5, I only download the first two discs and do a minimal
> install.  I then yum groupinstall Gnome, KDE, etc.  Actual time I need
> to be present is about an hour - do XP and say 100 applications and
> tell me how long it takes you.
>
> Chris

Since when could Windows XP not open zips by default? I just installed
XP for someone and I can open zip files just fine. I also do not have
Winzip installed on a laptop and it opens zip files and can create zip
files without winzip having been downloaded or any other archive manager
for that matter. Are there version of winxp that can not zip and unzip?
=-/ Weird.

Alex White