Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 00:18:31 UTC 2007

Chris Mohler wrote:
>> Since when could Windows XP not open zips by default? I just installed
>> XP for someone and I can open zip files just fine. I also do not have
>> Winzip installed on a laptop and it opens zip files and can create zip
>> files without winzip having been downloaded or any other archive manager
>> for that matter. Are there version of winxp that can not zip and unzip?
>> =-/ Weird.
>>
>> Alex White
>
> Maybe I'm thinking of win2k.  The point still stands: a plain ol' XP
> install isn't goint to give you much joy.  If it'll open a ZIP, how
> about DOC? PPT? Any MS Office file?  Or SVG,  AI,  PSD?  What about a
> plain old PDF?
>
> These are things handled by 'yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop
> Environment"', with zero human interaction required.
>
> Chris
Oh no! I wasn't arguin' for XP. I just, was pretty sure that XP did. 2k
sure didn't. And it sure can't do anything else by default that Fedora
can. I'm a CentOS user, but I have FC6 on a laptop, and it runs well. I
don't use office though, I'm an emacs user lol. I completely understand
the point you're making.

Perhaps I should delete 'emacs' from this e-mail so there's no holy war. ;)

Sincerely,

Alex White