Encrypt parts of drive?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Feb 26 22:58:56 UTC 2007

Peter Lauri wrote:
> First, sorry for bugging you guys with questions. I am rather new,
> and I hope I can contribute later on with more experience.

Promise? :)

> Is there anyway to encrypt parts of a drive? For example: I need to
> encrypt a specific home directory /home/confidentialuser/ but not
> the rest of the drive, is that possible?

One way to do this is via fuse-encfs (yum install fuse-encfs).

See the examples in the man page.

There are other ways as well, using dm-crypt to create an encrypted
container.  It's been a while since I played with any of them, so
hopefully others can chime in with the pros and cons of various
methods.

A baby first laughs at the age of four weeks.  By that time his eyes
focus well enough to see you clearly.