Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 07:18:43 UTC 2007

On 27/02/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> You can create a RAM disk, and copy files over to it. But it tends
> to work out better to use the memory for buffers and disk cache
> instead when you are using a reasonably fast hard drive. (Optical
> drives are another story - they are MUCH slower.)
>
> The thing to remember is that most CP/M systems were run from floppy
> disks. They also had to do a lot of swapping in and out because the
> processors could only directly address 64K of RAM. CP/M+ could swap
> pages in and out if your hardware supported it, but you were still
> limited to 64K mapped in at one time.
>
> If you want a system that boots up fast, you have the option of
> suspend to RAM or suspend to disk. There are advantages and
> disadvantages to both, but if they work on your system, they can get
> you to a working desktop in a short time.
>
> Mikkel

I'm not looking for fast boot times, rather for snappy system
performance. Slax in RAM is _f_a_s_t_. I really could not believe how
fast the system was. Give it a shot if you're not familiar with it.
Open Office loads in about a second, slowed only by it's splash
screen. Firefox comes up instantly.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/website.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/lyrics/129/108/carey_mariah/butterfly.html