Filesystem problems

Steve Siegfried sos at zjod.net
Tue Feb 27 17:16:51 UTC 2007

Dan Track wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've got a server with 59G /opt partiition. Currently df -h reports
> that I'm using 59G, however if I run "du -hs" on /opt the size of the
> indidivaual dir's sitting in /opt are much smaller and don't sum up to
> 59G. So my question is what is making the server think that more disk
> space is being used?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

It might be useful if you showed the du & df output, and that you should
remember to run du as root in order to see all the directories and not
just the ones you have permission to read as a normal user.

Suggest also that you read the fedora archives for the topic "df cmd
calculates wrong percent usage (FC6)".

-S