approved mechanism to switch to 32-bit firefox?

Joel Gomberg obligor11-fedora at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 01:39:37 UTC 2007

Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I noticed that a fresh install of x86_64 FC6 resulted in
> both i386 and x86_64 packages for firefox being installed.
> I would like to configure my machine to default to the
> i386 version of firefox and am wondering if there is
> an approved mechanism to setting this (since FC6 went
> out of its way to preinstall the i386 binaries on
> x86_64)?

Well, I doubt this is an "approved" method, but I edit
/usr/bin/firefox at line 40 and change "/usr/lib64..." to
"/usr/notlib64."  This fools the script into thinking there
is no 64-bit firefox.  The only problem with this is
remembering to make the change each time firefox is updated.
  The line number is from firefox 2.0 from the development
repo.  It may be different for firefox 1.5.  Just look for
the lines like these:

if [ -x "/usr/notlib64/firefox-2.0.0.1/firefox-bin" ]
then
   MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"

--
Joel