Filesystem problems

Dan Track dan.track at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:09:58 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Steve Siegfried <sos at zjod.net> wrote:
> Dan Track wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I've got a server with 59G /opt partiition. Currently df -h reports
> > that I'm using 59G, however if I run "du -hs" on /opt the size of the
> > indidivaual dir's sitting in /opt are much smaller and don't sum up to
> > 59G. So my question is what is making the server think that more disk
> > space is being used?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >

> It might be useful if you showed the du & df output, and that you should
> remember to run du as root in order to see all the directories and not
> just the ones you have permission to read as a normal user.
>
> Suggest also that you read the fedora archives for the topic "df cmd
> calculates wrong percent usage (FC6)".
>
> -S
>
> --

Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's the relevant output. Is there
some tests I can run to see what is going on?

 df -h
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3     3.0G  1.9G  967M  67% /
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1     147M   15M  125M  11% /boot
/dev/cciss/c0d0p7      59G   53G  3.3G  95% /opt
none                 1007M     0 1007M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2     3.0G  2.5G  358M  88% /var

 du -hs /opt/
27G     /opt

Hope this helps
Dan