Scanner permission

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Feb 28 23:45:32 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 13:32 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>>
>> This is probably not going to work, because /dev/scanner* and
>> /dev/usb/scanner* permissions are controlled by console.perms. So
>> they will be set to mode 600 and owner root is no-one is logged in
>> at the console, and to the console owner if there is. But if you are
>> not getting the scanner symlink, then the problem is probably that
>> it is not covered by rules in 60-libsane.rules
>
> You're right regarding SCSI vs. USB.  I suspect a similar line in udev
> might handle USB as well, but I've not tried it.  Regardless, couldn't
> one could change the /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms file
> to use 666 permissions?  All the he's really worried about is allowing
> anyone to use the scanner, not who owns it.

It should already be setting it to let the user logged into the
console scan. But you could change the setting for <scanner> in
50-default.perms. You would want to change both permissions, so that
it would work even if no-one is logged into the console.

The rules for USB scanners are in 60-libsane.rules along with most
of the other scanner rules.

Mikkel