Determining Which Physical Drive Matches Which Logical Device

vamythguy vamythguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 06:48:59 UTC 2007

On 1/1/07, Curtis Doty <Curtis at greenkey.net> wrote:

> vamythguy wrote:
> > I have a RAID-5 array with four SATA disks in it.  Apparently, two are
> > going
> > bad, so I want to replace them.  But, I'm not sure which physical
> > drives to
> > pull.  Given the following:
> >
> > cat /proc/mdstat
> > Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> > md0 : active raid5 sda[0] sdd[3] sdc[2] sdb[1]
> >      735351936 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Odd that you have the raid4 and raid6 modules loaded, but still
> unfamiliar with /proc/mdstat...
>
> Anyways, you are showing an array with four working disks; none failed.
> If you had a failed drive, it might look like [U_UU] which would mean
> the second disk had failed.
>
> ../C
>
> --

I know how /proc/mdstat works, so I know the drives haven't failed *yet*.

However my system log is reporting:

Dec 31 17:04:38 tibeaux smartd[2384]: Device: /dev/sda, 3 Offline
uncorrectable sectors
Dec 31 17:04:39 tibeaux smartd[2384]: Device: /dev/sdd, 48 Currently
unreadable (pending) sectors

over and over again.

And another list member (Pedro Fernandes Macedo <
webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br>) says this means the two disks are in danger
of failing.   So, unless I can safely prevent against that, I want to
replace the disks before they do.  I would just add a hot spare and let
mdadm do it, but there is no room in the case.  So, back to the original
question...