good command-line audio player for fc5?

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 1 13:55:53 UTC 2007

Ski Dawg wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 13:49 -0600, Peter Horst wrote:
> > Ah, thank you. Is there a way to "fake" being logged in on the console?
> > I would like to leave this particular machine sitting in the closet and
> > only ever login via ssh....
>
> First, sorry if this is double posted. I didn't see my first post come
> through the list.
>
> Anyway, to try and answer your question.
>
> You can try running everything within a screen session.
>
> [snip]

I've been running screen now for a couple of days - what an
extraordinarily useful program. Once I learned how to name the
individual buffers (CTRL-a A) and access the scrollback buffer (CTRL-a
[), I was in business. I log into my "server" via PuTTY on my laptop,
and I've always had a ton of trouble with wireless network flakiness
destroying sessions midway through. Now with screen I don't have to
worry about that. If the network goes down, it doesn't matter. I just
log back in and run 'screen -D -R' and I'm exactly where I left off.

Thanks for the pointer.