DVD problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 19:59:19 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 January 2007 19:40, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > I've not come across this problem before.  Most of my DVDs play
> > correctly.  Is this an additional drm layer or similar?
>
> I do not know why you are having problems with xine.
>
> But you have to fix libavcodec, which is part of ffmpeg.
>
> ffmpeg contains all of the codecs: DivX3,4,5, xvid, aac, a52, etc...
> In windows, it is known by ffdshow. It is the heart of mplayer.
> ffmpeg can be downloaded from freshrpms (FC6):
>
> http://zod.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=801
>
> or, if you are not using FC6, then I suggest you to get ffmpeg from ATrpms:
>
> http://atrpms.net/name/ffmpeg/
>
> If you want just to play dvds, the best program is vlc, also available
> in freshrpms.
> It has a better control of dvd menus.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/
>
> /Paulo Roma.

Thanks for the info, Paulo.  I'm not very au fait with codecs, which is why I
asked.  It's not really 'my thing', but it is nice, sometimes to be able to
play a disk.  Actually, to be really honest, it just peeves me that someone
can try to stop me viewing something that I've legally bought :-)  It's a bit
like saying that I can buy a book, but I can't read it on the train, in bed
or in the bath :-)

Anne