How to setup a Linux mail server?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jan 2 05:07:57 UTC 2007

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I run around 7-10 laptops & desktops at any given time in my home/home-office
> network. All of them are Linux boxes.  I am getting overwhelmed with SPAM, I
> use Kmail and spamassassain, we also run thunderbird email.
>
> I'm thinking that the best solution my be to setup my own "internal" mail
> server, have the mail server pull all my various email accounts, then use
> procmail filtering to eliminate and report on spammers. At that point my
> local boxes (or even remote laptops via an ssh tunnel) can get their
> respective mail spam free (for the most part).
>
> I have 2 questions.
>
> 1) is this a sound plan? or is there a better way to go?
>
> 2) If this is a good method then where can I find a good tutorial on how to
> setup a Linux mail server and configure it to pull from the various ISP's as
> well as a good tutorial on procmail?
>

> Thanks in advance

I echo the other responder in that postfix with clamd and spam assassin
are great, and will get 99% of spam right out of the box.  Plus give you
better mail logs.

# yum install postfix clamav clamav-data clamav-lib clamav-milter
clamav-milter-sysv clamav-server clamav-server-sysv clamav-update

Fix up the configs in /etc/postfix a bit and fire it up.  postfix has
LOTS of good documentation out there with quite a few walk throughs.

Here are the ones I saved:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_antispam
http://www.wl0.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/postfix-rpm/README-Postfix-SASL-RedHat.txt?rev=HEAD