DVD problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 12:52:19 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 12:36, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 01 January 2007 19:40, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > > I've not come across this problem before.  Most of my DVDs play
> > > correctly.  Is this an additional drm layer or similar?
> >
> > I do not know why you are having problems with xine.
> >
> > But you have to fix libavcodec, which is part of ffmpeg.
> >
> > ffmpeg contains all of the codecs: DivX3,4,5, xvid, aac, a52, etc...
> > In windows, it is known by ffdshow. It is the heart of mplayer.
> > ffmpeg can be downloaded from freshrpms (FC6):
> >
> > http://zod.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=801
> >
> > or, if you are not using FC6, then I suggest you to get ffmpeg from
> > ATrpms:
> >
> > http://atrpms.net/name/ffmpeg/
> >
> > If you want just to play dvds, the best program is vlc, also available
> > in freshrpms.
> > It has a better control of dvd menus.
> >
> > http://www.videolan.org/
>
> Paulo, I set out to do this, this morning.  I have ffmpeg from livna
> installed, so I tried to remove it in order to install the freshrpms
> version. However, it said that I would also remove many programs that I
> need.  I know that if necessary I could make a list then reinstall them,
> but should I force a remove without dependencies?  If so, what is the
> command?  I can't find it in the man page.  Is it easier to use rpm?
>
> Sorry to be a nuisance.

Ignore that :-)  On examination of the list it is clear that most are livna
packages anyway, so I'll let them go and install afresh from freshrpms.

One thing makes me curious, though.  Amongst the listed dependency removals is
mjpegtools.  As far as I know it does not depend on ffmpeg but can use it.
Am I wrong, or is it that it's not just dependencies but anything that uses
the package that gets removed?

Anne