How to configure linux box as vlan based switch

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 05:41:52 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Jeffrey Ross <jeff at bubble.org> wrote:

> Manoj Kumar wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Wish you all a very happy new year.
> >
> > I'am trying to test a VLAN based network. Hence, i wanted to know if it
> > possible to configure a Linux Machine with multiple NIC card (i.e.,
> > ports)
> > to be configured to behave as a switch. If it possible then how to do the
> > same any know resource where i coudl get some material on the same.
> >
> > Secondly, if it possible to configure it as a switch then is it
> > possible to
> > configure as VLAN based switch. And also know resources for the same.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > regards,
> > manoj
> >

> VLANs? you want to do Dot1Q? and use multiple virtual interfaces (ie
> eth0.2 eth0.3 etc)?  If so look at vconfig.  Then just assigned
> different ip addresses (and network numbers) to each physical (or
> virtual) nic.
>
> Also you will need to enable IP forwarding as I believe it is off by
> default, issue the command:
>
> *echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

sorry,
but that isn't going to work as a router and not as a Switch?, it will
worked based on IPs and the
route table of the linux box. Right?
a Switch worked based on MAC addresses, and a VLAN switch even more.
as the 802.1Q works on Eth Header, so on MAC address (Layer two).

Correct me if I am wrong please.

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."