Error installing FC6 x86_64

Doctor Who whodoctor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:53:45 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:
> Doctor Who kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko 03
> tammikuu 2007 03:56):
> > At the install prompt I typed 'linux all-generic-ide' and I
> > get the same error as before.  Does this make the installer
> > see the disks as PATA vs. SATA?
>
> No, it makes the kernel to detect the unsupported PATA
> controller. Is the SATA controller set to AHCI mode in BIOS?

That brings up a question...what *should* it be?  It was set in the
BIOS to IDE.  As I understand it, to get the most speed/features out
of these drives, it should be set to AHCI, correct?

Also, I've already done a couple OS installs on these drives, so it
would appear changing the setting to AHCI will cause me to reinstall
those OS's.