Error installing FC6 x86_64

Doctor Who whodoctor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 14:04:39 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Jeffrey Ross <jeff at bubble.org> wrote:

> Doctor Who wrote:
> > On 1/3/07, Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:
> >> Doctor Who kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko 03
> >> tammikuu 2007 03:56):
> >>
> >> No, it makes the kernel to detect the unsupported PATA
> >> controller. Is the SATA controller set to AHCI mode in BIOS?
> >>

> > That brings up a question...what *should* it be?  It was set in the
> > BIOS to IDE.  As I understand it, to get the most speed/features out
> > of these drives, it should be set to AHCI, correct?
> >
> > Also, I've already done a couple OS installs on these drives, so it
> > would appear changing the setting to AHCI will cause me to reinstall
> > those OS's.
> >

> Hey Professor (as Ace would say)...
>
> I don't know about having to reinstall the other OS's or not however you
> do want the controller set to AHCI for FC6.  Also in order to get the
> CDrom drive working I had to add the all-generic-ide.  I was unable to
> install FC6 when I set my drives to anything other than AHCI.
>
> Jeff

Ah, OK.  Sadly, it does appear that changing the BIOS setting for the
drives to AHCI from IDE will keep the other OS's from booting (since
they were initially installed with different drivers and now are no
longer detected :-( )

I'm also curious if I'm getting the most out of the drives by having
it at IDE vs. AHCI...perhaps reinstalling the OS's again would be
worth it from a performance standpoint?