Getting people into Linux

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 23:32:29 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Robert F. Chapman <robert_chapman at maximhq.com> wrote:
> I have encountered these same road-blocks, as well as, the support
> "card".  I would have to agree with the masses though, as where most
> other consumer OS / applications are geared toward Multi-Media, and
> Linux distributions / applications are still a bit behind in this area.
> Out of the box, most Linux distros don't support Mpeg/MP3/Dvix etc...

I have heard this argument before but I have yet to install a Windows
system that does much "out of the box". Maybe the Media Editions of
Windows has extra codecs pre-loaded but the standard install is bare
bones ... a braindead word processor, media player and image editor.
Admittedly, all the bells and whistles can be easily found for Windows
(mostly for a price) but they can also be found for Linux (mostly for
free). Also, the standard Linux install comes with many many apps that
typically get installed with no user intervention other than saying
they want a Desktop type install. So this argument doesn't hold much
water with me.

> If a vested interest is the issue, charge the user $300.00 for the
> distro and put the money back into projects / marketing / support to
> improve Linux.  Redhat already does this, but it's market is directed
> toward SERVERS and not consumers.

I am not sure that this is the ideal solution as Linux being free (as
in cost) is one of its many selling features. I was just pointing out
the irony that it is also a liability in some situations.

> The best way to sway the end-user is to show them the goods.  Set-up a
> system and show them what it can do.

Yup ... a very good plan. I keep a LiveCD with me always. It is from a
competing distro but to co-opt a phrase: "a rising tide lifts all
boats". Even so, it is a quantum leap between showing something
working nicely on your system and having them allow you to do it to
theirs due to the psychological factors I mentioned before.

*shrug* I don't have a good solution. Maybe MS will shoot itself in
the foot with Vista causing people to be more open to alternatives
when the are migrating from XP. I am seeing a huge flood to OSX due to
Apple marketing though. Maybe some talented Linux advocates can make
up some viral ads.

In any case, I feel that the solution is getting less and less
technical and more and more political/social/psychological ... you
know ... the typical geek strongholds. ;]

/Mike