Is Fedora a good comparison to Red Hat?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 4 11:50:07 UTC 2007

Paul Lockwood wrote:
> Hello
>
> My first posting here.
>
> I have just finished downloading the DVD iso for Fedora and hope to get this installed on a virtual PC in the next couple of days. I currently work in the IT Industry dealing with projects, support etc from anything to new builds on PC's to installing non standard software.
>
> I am looking to get some Linux experience where most post advertised usuaully ask for Red Hat.
>
> Can someone tell me if Fedora is a similar system to Red Hat so that I can use this better for the experience?
> I will use Fedora initially to get the Linux experience but was wondering if this will be enough?

Fedora should be similar to Redhat products, but is further ahead,
trying out new stuff, so there are some slight differences. I run FC6 on
my personal laptop but use a Enterprise Linux based distro at work,
namely Scientific Linux (3 and 4). Tjhere are differences.

If you want to get as close to Enterprise Linux as possible, but without
paying anything:), you might consider trying out one of the distros that
is directly based on Enterprise Linux. Those that spring to my mind are,

Scientific Linux
https://www.scientificlinux.org/

Centos
http://www.centos.org/