Help with restoring IDE image to SATA drive

FS bastiji at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 21:11:50 UTC 2007

Les -- Comments/questions inline.

On 1/4/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 13:34 -0500, FS wrote:
> > Folks -- My ignorance of all things Linux might be showing with this
> > posting, but I can't seem to make this work. I have a Linux FC2
> > machine with an IDE drive which I'm trying to make an image of, so in
> > case all hell breaks loose we have something we can restore and be up
> > and running in no time.
> >
> > The box I tried to restore has a SATA drive. I've already imaged the
> > SATA drive with the image, but it says "kernel panic".
>
> You load the kernel with bios requests, but once it and the initrd
> (ramdisk) image are loaded, the kernal has to have the correct
> disk driver to continue.  You can fix it after the fact by
> booting the install CD in rescue mode and doing the chroot it
> suggests. Note the kernel module that gets loaded for this
> machine (lsmod will show a list), and add it to /etc/modprobe.conf
> (I don't have an SATA box handy but I think they look like scsi's):
> alias scsi_hostadapter  xxxxx   (where xxxx is your driver module).

You say "Note the kernel module that gets loaded for this machine" I'm
assuming this is for the new SATA box. Since I can't boot into the
machine, is there any other way to gather this information? I can boot
into knoppix, mount the SATA drive and read files off of it. I can
even edit the modprobe.conf to add whatever needs to be added to it,
but what should I add?

> Then run
> mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl.img  2.4.22-1.2199.nptl
> to rebuild the image with the module you need.

This needs to be run on the new machine too? Any alternate way of
running this if the machine is not bootable?

> Oh wait - with those kernel numbers, that must be an FC1.  You'll
> have to edit modules.conf instead of modprobe.conf and you may
> or may not even have an SATA driver available.  And you should
> also edit /etc/fstab to see if any partitions (including swap) are
> referenced by their /dev/hd? name and if so, change to the
> new corresponding /dev/sd? name.

You are right. It is FC1. I checked the fstab file by mounting the
drive after booting in Knoppix and one entry was for hda, which I
changed to sda. If I have to edit the modules.conf, what should I use
for the module name to add and where would I get the driver file from?
When I do get that file where do I place it for the system to find?

Thank you for your patience and help!

Regards,
Faisal