Files in /var/log/yum

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 5 12:09:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 21:39 -0500, Evan Panagiotopoulos wrote:
> I looked inside /var/log/yum and I found about 100 MB of data. Can I go
> ahead and delete those files? I will not delete the directory structure.

If you type in "yum clean packages" (as root), you'll erase the
downloaded packages.  You don't need to keep them once they've been
installed.

Typing in "yum clean all" will remove headers, as well.  But I wouldn't
do that unless you had some serious foul-up with yum.  Everytime you run
yum it needs to use the headers, and it'll use what it's already cached,
or download them all again.  Re-getting them wastes time and bandwidth
(yours and the repo mirror servers).

> Could I assume the same for all files found in /var/log/?

Log files are automatically rotated.  You'll have a history of so-many
of them, and really old ones will be removed, eventually.  In theory...

In practice, there's been a few that just accumulate.  I think some of
the CUPS logs did that, as CUPS was configured that way, by default.