A really good article on software usability

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Jan 5 17:25:49 UTC 2007

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> David G. Miller wrote:

>> > A glaring example of this is the Thunderbird prompt as to whether images
>> > should be displayed.  A "learn" function (e.g., "Always display e-mail
>> > images from this sender?") would be wonderful.  Instead, everyday I have
>> > to click "Display images" in order to read my "Daily Dilbert" as well as
>> > several other e-mails.
>> >
>> > There are other examples but this is a case where the developers
>> > blatantly ignore how most people use a particular program.
>> >

> A quick fix for this is to put the sender in your address book, and
> then enable "Allow remote images if the sender is in my Personal
> Address Book" in
> Preferences --> Privacy --> General. (The same tab that has the
> check box to block loading of remote images.)
>
> Mikkel
Thanks for the tip.  While that will work, somehow I don't think of
editing my personal address book when it comes to allowing images from a
particular sender.  That an obscure way to allow something like this
exists goes a long way to the point of the original article: Linux apps
could be a lot more user friendly (admittedly, the author of the article
could have come up with better examples).

The one way commercial applications could successfully compete against
open source would be to focus on usability.  I don't see any way for the
open source community to do something like the ease of use analysis that
went into a product like the DOS version of WordPerfect.  Luckily for
open source, Microsoft and their ilk would rather continue to bloat
their products with features that appeal to smaller and smaller market
niches.  Commercial vendors also have an incentive to keep their
products bloated and hard to use since they make money from training and
support plus ease of use is subjective while a feature list is something
that can be easily advertised.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce