A really good article on software usability

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 17:54:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 16:24 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I repeat - I want to make the decisions.  I do not want anyone else to make
> them for me.  If that makes me a control freak, so be it.

Ah, so you need the 'changes mind frequently' option...

> My disaster plan
> saved my company precisely because I'm a control freak.

I think you've missed the point here.  Defaults should not
lead to a disaster and if someone had to make a non-default
choice at the last prompt to avert one, some bigger changes
were needed.

> You may choose to
> save a few seconds of your life, save yourself some effort several times a
> day and take risks that are unacceptable to me.

The default thing to happen should not be a risk.  There are still
places where human intervention is necessary for final choices but
most of what I do on a computer is the same every day.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com