Is Fedora a good comparison to Red Hat?

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Fri Jan 5 20:59:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 01:25 +0000, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> > Fedora should be similar to Redhat products, but is further ahead,
> > trying out new stuff, so there are some slight differences. I run FC6 on
> > my personal laptop but use a Enterprise Linux based distro at work,
> > namely Scientific Linux (3 and 4). Tjhere are differences.
>
> I've always wanted to try SL but never had the time. I do now, so I
> thought I'd ask someone with hands on experience how is it different than
> FC? What tools does it have that I can't get in FC6? Is it more stable?
> Thanks!

Scientific Linux tracks Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so SL4.x is very
similar to RHEL 4.  For differences, look at
https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/4x/44/

If you use commercial scientific software or compilers, you may want to
look at SL.  If a vendor says that they support RHEL 4 then SL 4 should
work with no problem.  Take a look at the live CD/DVD first:
https://www.scientificlinux.org/news/livecd.44

Tony