Where Is The AVRISP USB Programmer When I Plug It In?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jan 6 04:19:03 UTC 2007

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Is the programmer a USB to serial device with TTL level outputs? If
>> so, are you doing this with the cable plugged into something you are
>> trying to program?
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean here by 'USB to serial device with TTL level
> outputs'. Yes, the programmer is plugged into a USB port on my FC5
> machine at one end and an Atmel-based controller board on the other end.
> I want to program an Atmel Atmega128 chip which is on the controller
> board. It has a Maxim Max3222 chip on board. The board is intended to be
> a robot controller.

What I have run into before is that what they are calling a
programmer is actually a communication cable that talks to a serial
port on the development board that is a ttl (0 to 5V - with 5V as
logic 1) instead of RS-232 (+/- 3 to 35 volts - polarity indicates
logic level.) The actual programming is done by the development
board by firmware on the board. You are usually talking to a monitor
program of some sort on the board or chip.

In this case, it looks like the programmer is a bit more complicated
then that. I did not find the pinouts for the ISP Programming
Interface, so I am not sure how much the programmer really does...

Mikkel