Help with mencoder mpg to avi changes aspect

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:07:24 UTC 2007

> Can anyone show me what I need to change so my converted Myth
> recordings video aspect is not changed.

> I currently run the following command but my video aspect changes from
> I'm guessing widescreen to 4:3 so the picture is squashed.

> mencoder input.mpg -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -xvidencopts bitrate=800 -o output.avi

> Any suggestions or improvements on this command would be great.

> I have done a bit of googling but could not find the answer.

I am not sure if I understood your question.
But when I want to fix the aspect ratio of an avi, I use this script:

#!/bin/sh
# Author: Paulo Roma
# Changes the incorrect aspect ratio from avi files.
# $1 is the name of the file to be converted without extension.
# $2 is the aspect ratio.

if [[ $# != 2 ]]; then
      echo "fixaspect.sh [file] [aspect]"
     exit 0;
fi

mencoder "$1".avi -o "$1".asp.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -force-avi-aspect "$2"

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ