Question re logdir perms

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 6 22:34:51 UTC 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 14:00, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Saturday 06 January 2007 17:49, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I would like to convert a utility so it can run as a normal user.
>> However, this normal user has no write perms to /var/log and therefore
>> cannot generate its log file.
>>
>> Whats the normal procedure in this case, make that user a member of
>> the group disk?, or make a subdir in /var/log this user then owns?
>>
>> I can do either, the latter easier than trying to figure out chmod
>> from its obtuse manpage.
>
>Does the log file have to be in /var/log?  If this is being run as a
> user, couldn't the appropriate conf file set the log path to a home
> directory?  I know that some applications do this.
>
>Anne

Thanks Anne.

I wound up giving it its owned dir in /var/log, and then making the user a
member of uucp so the user could access /dev/ttyS1.  There are a few more
details, but that's the gist of it.  Its the new heyu, and I wanted to
run it as me rather than root.  I even made a logrotate file for it which
will get tested in the morning.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)