CD-DVD writing?

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sun Jan 7 17:44:41 UTC 2007

I seem to have a CD/DVD-ROM incompatibility and I'm looking for some
suggestions, help and possibly a final solution.

My system is using an Intel DG965RY motherboard with an 2.8Ghz Pentium D
processor, Fedora Core 6 x64_86, and along with whatever the latest
updates are via yum.  I am using the all-generic-ide command on the grub
boot line.

I have 2 CD/DVD RW drives, the first one is a BenQ DW 1620and in an
attempt to solve the problem I upgraded the drive to the latest
firmware. the other one is a Sony DRU-500A which came in an external
USB/Firewire case.

The Sony drive works perfectly fine in its external case, and in fact I
used it to install the system before I knew about the "all-generic-ide"
command to workaround the IDE support issues on my motherboard.  The
Sony drive also works perfectly fine when removed from the external case
and installed internally for both reading and writing.

The BenQ drive on the other hand is a problem, it does not write
CD/DVD's when connected to the IDE bus in the machine (I don't remember
about reading as I've been writing a lot of DVD's at the moment) it
starts up and then fails leaving me with a coaster.  However if I take
the BenQ drive and put it in the external case that the Sony drive came
in and plug it into the system it then works perfectly fine.

Where do I go from here??  Suggestions?

Jeff