xserver access problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 7 18:30:02 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 12:07, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> I've succeeded in making heyu run as a normal user.  But one of its
>>> functions is to intercept an x10 palmpads output and control xmms for
>>> when I'm in the basement playing pool with the neighbors.
>>>
>>> I know its against everyones better judgment here, but x is running as
>>> root and will be.
>>>
>>> So now these xmms control functions are blocked by its not having
>>> access to the display when its launched by gene. I just tried adding
>>> gene to the screen group, but that made no difference.
>>>
>>> What would be the correct method to give gene access to a root
>>> xserver?
>> I do not understand why you have to run X as root just for X-10
>> control.
>
> That's because I'm a stubborn old fart and run myself as root 99.9% of the
> time.
>
>> Opening up the X display when it is being run as root is
>> also not a good idea. But if you are determined to do it this way,
>> then you have a couple of options. One way is to run "xhost +gene"
>> in the X secession to give gene access to the display.
>
> Which it does not, gene seems to be an invalid user.
>
> FWIW xhost + allows it to run, but as gene it doesn't seem to have perms
> to do anything but quit.  No skin, no playlist etc.

How are you accessing the machine? Is gene a valid user on that
machine? Also, are you starting xmms on that machine, or on another
machine and displaying it on that machine? Another problem you may
run into is that because gene is not logged into the local machine,
he/she probably does not have access to the sound system on that
machine. (Take a look at console.perms.)

If you are running xmms on a different machine, and having the
display on this machine, then the playlists and and skins will be
those available on the machine you are running xmms on, and not the
one that it is displayed on. It will also be (trying) to use the
sound hardware on the machine it is running on, and not the one it
is displayed one. It will only be able to play songs that are on the
machine it is running on, and not songs on the machine it is
displayed on. (Unless the files are shared over the network...)

Mikkel