How to change passphrase on gnome-keyring?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 06:12:27 UTC 2007

David Jansen wrote:
> Is it possible (and how!) to change the passphrase of an existing
> keyring in the gnome-keyring. The reason I want to do this: pam_keyring
> can unlock the keyring if the passwords are identical, and I wanted to
> start the new year with a frssh, secure new password.
> However, I cannot find the option to change the passphrase anywhere in
> gnome, gnome-keyring-manager, gconf etc (FC6 i386 system)
>
> David Jansen

It did this once by deleting the keyring. It asked me for a password
again next time I logged in and I gave it the new password. Here's how I
did this:
1. Delete  the directory ~/.gnome2/keyrings
2. Logout of gnome session (or any other session)
3. Delete .gconf* files/directories from /tmp. I just deleted everything
I owned in tmp (note that you need to delete the hidden directories as
well).

Next time you login, you will be asked for the keyring passphrase again
when it is needed.

GL,
->HS