A confusion about hibernate and suspend.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 8 15:39:40 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> As I get older I suffer from memory blanks. On a laptop how to you wake
> the machine up after a hibernate or a suspend? I thought I knew but I
> guess not.
It is not consistent between laptops. I have one that will come out
of suspend if I open the lid. You have to use the power button for
it to come out of hibernation. (Coming out of hibernation looks like
a normal boot at first...) I have another that requires hitting the
power button for both. I have used systems that required Fn-F4 to
come out of suspend, and systems that will wake up by hitting any
key. On some systems, you can control what will wake up the laptop
ether in the BIOS, or by running a Windows utility program. Then
there is this old Thinkpad around here that will not wake up from
suspend, no matter what you do...

Mikkel