How to display CLI output on another machine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 8 18:42:32 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 23:44, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 23:25, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:

> > screen screen screen screen screen, did I write screen? ;-)
>
> OK. Give me a bit of slack here. You quoted as below.
>
> Definetly, run a screen on machine B and work as usual, then ssh from A to
> B and run screen -RD.
> It will work from now on!! :-)
>
> I've only been working with Linux since 2003, and have lots to learn.
>
> What do I need to do to run screen on machine B?
>
> Nigel.

Hi Manuel. Apologies for the "Give me a bit of slack" remark. It was late, and
I was tired.

Screen works well on machine B, and after ssh'ing into machine B from machine
A screen -RD displays B's Konsole on A, but Konsole on B is closed for some
reason. I havn't used screen before, so perhaps this is normal.

Unfortunately screen would not have worked for my original situation. I had
already run apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade on machine B, and this
had run to completion of the upgrades. If I had then run screen, followed by
apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade, the output on Konsole would have
been different, as the upgrades had already been done.

Thanks all the same for the "screen" suggestion. it would be nice if there was
a way to open KDE's Konsole in screen mode, rather than having to open
Konsole, and type screen everytime you use it, just in case there might be
some output you want to have accessable on the other machine.

Thanks Manuel for your suggestion.

Nigel.