Has anyone seen a "lock up" occur on FC6 when running Firefox?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 9 12:32:10 UTC 2007

Richard England wrote:
> Kernel  2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 smp  fully updated install
>
> firefox 1.5.09 via  yum
>
> If I start firefox and use or let it sit idle, eventually the system
> will lock up.  No keyboard response, cursor moves with mouse movement
> but the buttons do not function.   I can't conclusively say that firefox
> is that cause but it seems to be the commonality.  If I let the system
> idle without firefox, I have yet to see a freeze.
>
> Any one else seen this?  Any one have some diagnostic tricks I can use
> to isolate this?
I find it useful to show the seconds on the clock, and run gkrellm
{enable temperature logging if your pc can do it}, top, tail -f
/var/log/messages, ping another internal machine {eg router/firewall).
Make sure they are all visible in case it seems to have locked.

x86_64 kernel ?
x86_64 firefox ?

Does it ever happen if firefox gets opened, but no page {at all} is shown ?
Perhaps the pages you view are using plugins like java/flash, and or
reloading themselves {eg  ads} ?
For the keyboard, next time try: alt-f1 {application menu}, alt-tab,
alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-del ? what about the kb leds num/caps, do they
toggle as normal ?

DaveT.