Running the OS in RAM

mindwave at cfl.rr.com mindwave at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 16:38:36 UTC 2007

There is a gal in .NL that has developed her own 'live' version of Mandriva, more than that she has developed a way to load the whole thing onto a USB flash disk.
if THAT wasnt impressive enough, she has developed a series of scripts that you can execute at boot that copies the entire thing to ram.
I'm using her information to see if there is a way to either use Xandros in the same manner or load the whole thing onto a 120gb poscket drive.
Whats this have to do w/ anything? Yes i do believe this is possible.
Take a look at www.mcnlive.org for more information.
as much as li appreciate fedora and Xandros, this has me REALLY looking at Mandriva again.
However what I am struggling with is duplicating my desktop, which has PAN, GIMP,GAIM, THUNDERBIRD,FIREFOX etc. on it. THOSE tend to bloat the whole package OVER the ideal of 500MB.
I think her idea is that if you keep the load under 500mb you really can load it on almost any contemporary pc , copy it to ram and then run with it. Me i'm more interested in taking my desktop with me, than in the speed of running to ram.
Now a COOL offshoot would be to develop a method that would load the OS ONLY to ram and keep the apps on the flash drive. But thats beyond me (maybe).
There is also a really food book called Linux Live Cd's
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0132432749/ref=s9_asin_image_1/104-3273965-8635943
that includes info on rolling your own Fedora install. My copy should be here next week.