NTFS in the kernel and Dave's 2.6.19 kernel

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 13:36:07 UTC 2007

Jeffrey Burns wrote:
> This is the first I've heard about the patent issues with ntfs being
> resolved and it's very good news. Hopefully Fedora 7 kernels will have
> ntfs support enabled by default. It will make it that much easier to
> transition my parents and sister to Fedora.

They're not so much "resolved" as "we've now got our own nukes, so
hopefully we can co-exist". The "Open Invention Network" owns a number
of key patents and will assert them, if necessary, against companies
that try to use patents against Free Software.

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/oin/

Note that this is absolutely no use against companies that only own
patents and try to extract patent royalties from people that use them.
But it's probably cheaper for Microsoft to allow NTFS support than it is
to start a legal war to have it stopped.

I understand that the same portfolio covers Mono.

I am not a lawyer, but Mark Webbink, who wrote the article I linked to,
is Red Hat's Deputy General Counsel.
http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/team/webbink.html

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | *No-one* liked the Joshua N'Clement block. The people who
aprilcottage.co.uk | lived there thought everyone should be taken out and then