font used by printer for text files

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 17:04:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 11:16 -0500, George Avrunin wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core 6, fully updated.  When I print a text file, for
> instance using "lp .bashrc" or with "M-x print-buffer" in emacs, the font
> used seems to be the standard terminal font (DejaVu LGC Sans Mono), but the
> size is much larger than it used to be. On the page, it looks like at
> least a 14 point font, perhaps even larger. System -> Preferences -> Fonts
> shows the default font as "Sans 10" and the fixed-width font as "Monospace
> 10".  I would like it to print as a 10 point font, but I don't want to
> change the size of the font on screen.

You can use the 'cpi' (characters per inch) and 'lpi' (lines per inch)
options to modify this font.

System->Adminstration->Printing
Click on the printer
Select the Job Options tab
Select 'cpi' from the drop-down list and click Add
Adjust to taste
Select 'lpi' from the drop-down list and click Add
Adjust to taste

Tim.
*/