FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

elk dolk elkdolk at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 10:07:42 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote: From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>

 On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 22:13 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Both myself, and Aaron Konstram are having problems with the complete shutdown
> of our machines. I am running FC5, and since some updates to FC5, kernels
> later than the original kernel installed from the CDROM refuse to shutdown
> cmpletely. The shutdown messages reach "power off" then nothing, and you have
> to press, and hold the start button on the PC to switch the machine off. When
> shutdown reaches the power off stage, I hear the harddrives spin down, but
> the machine is still active.
>
> these ar the kernels on my FC5:
> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5  (this one shutsdown ok)
> but all of these refuse to shutdown completely:
> 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
> 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
> 2.6.18-1.2200_FC5
> 2.6.18-1.2239_FC5
> and
> 2.6.18-1.2257_FC5
>
> I have been googling, and found suggestions to use "lapic" . I'm not sure how
> to use it. I tried at the grub prompt for the kernel, using "lapic", or
> lapic=on" (without the double quotes) , but no success.
>
> Anyone have any suggestion how to use lapic, or even if this might solve the
> problem?

All you need to do is append "lapic" to the kernel line in grub:

 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
 quiet lapic

(all on one line).  That may not solve your issue.  You may need to use
"noapic" instead:

 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
 quiet noapic

My box has the same problem but appending lapic or noapic does not solve the problem !