Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:05:43 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Norm <maillist at sios.ca> wrote:
> James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Norm wrote:
> >

> >> I have not been able to determine what vintage the processor in my old
> >> box is but with a 735 clock speed we can assume it is old.
> >>

> > With a 733(ish) processor speed, it was either a Pentium III on a 133
> > MHz motherboard or a Celeron on a 66 MHz motherboard. You can check by
> > running
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > The 733 MHz Pentium III was released in autumn 1999, the 733 Celeron in
> > autumn 2000.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, the 733 MHz Pentium III would have become
> > obsolete in mid 2001, and the Celeron maybe six months later.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > James.
> >

> Thanks James, before I emailed the list I checked cpuinfo, the
> information is not as clear as I had hoped. My guess is I am running
> close to the absolute usable minimum hardware set up which is older than
> he one in question and the issues involved are more than a generic P3
> FC6 issue below is the information from my cpuinfo file. I suspect that
> the box has its last FC upgrade and is nearing the end of its usable
> life as a test box (I might be able to extend its life a bnit if I can
> find some more RAM but the box is not worth spending any money on), even
> distros like Ubuntu don't run well on it, but at the price I paid for it
> I can't complain.
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 7
> model name      : VIA Ezra
> stepping        : 10
> cpu MHz         : 735.020
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow up
> bogomips        : 1470.81

Since version 10.1 OpenSUSE requires 384 MB of RAM to run their live
DVD but you can install the disto on a  system with less memory. Don't
know about Ubuntu's live CD/DVD; I just download the install images.

If I can get OpenSUSE 10.2 and FC-6 to install and run on my 450 MHz
AMD K6-2 box you should be able to do the same on your newer, more
powerful box.