Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jan 11 22:54:33 UTC 2007

Just Do it wrote:

> For me.... the only preferable option to change OS not my old PC (any way
> I have to do the hardware upgradation...but not now).....
> If Xubuntu could run so smoothly....why not fedora...there should be
> something....I have to figure out....???
> When Window XP work well in my PC...why not FC 6??? I want to change from
> Window XP to Linux....lets hope what happen??

There is no reason at all why FC-6 should not run perfectly well
on your machine, once you get it installed.

I see no evidence at all that your problem has anything to do with
shortage of RAM.

I had much the same problem on one machine with plenty of RAM.
My solution was to install an absolutely minimal distribution -
opting for "Custom install" and choosing no packages.
Then when that worked I used "yum groupinstall" to install what I wanted.

In my view your problem either lies in your CDs,
in your CD reader, or (most likely) in Anaconda,
which is not the best of installers, IMHO.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366