Has anyone seen a "lock up" occur on FC6 when running Firefox?

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Fri Jan 12 03:44:30 UTC 2007

Richard England wrote:
> Kernel  2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 smp  fully updated install
>
> firefox 1.5.09 via  yum
>
> If I start firefox and use or let it sit idle, eventually the system
> will lock up.  No keyboard response, cursor moves with mouse movement
> but the buttons do not function.   I can't conclusively say that
> firefox is that cause but it seems to be the commonality.  If I let
> the system idle without firefox, I have yet to see a freeze.
>
> Any one else seen this?  Any one have some diagnostic tricks I can use
> to isolate this?  I'm not a complete novice in using Linux but any
> tips might save me a boat load of trial and error.  I may try starting
> a VNC session from another machine and see if it is active so I can
> see dmesg, etc.  Perhaps it's an xwindows issue.....
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~~Richard

I can't report a solution but I  _can_ report a cessation of
hostilities.....

I noticed that after a recent kernel upgrade I had failed to reinstall
the Nvidia drivers I'm using on my system [GeForce4 MX440]. When I did
that the lockups seemed to have stopped.  I'm still not completely sold
that the native drivers were the problem but I haven't been be able to
make it fail.

Having said that, I now expect a lock up momentarily.

--
--R