Compiz removes menu items

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 12 18:51:32 UTC 2007

Well compiz is supposed to do *neat* stuff, so I did a 'yum install
compiz' on my Thinkpad T40 running FC6. The Thinkpad has an ATI Radeon
chipset. The install found 4 dependencies and they were installed too.

Then after looking at the help, I ran 'compiz --restart'. I was not
net-attached so I did no browsing beforehand. (Yes, mea culpa. Mea
maxima culpa.)

On reboot, my desktop had changed from KDE to Gnome, with NO icons on
the desktop, and an entirely blank panel (the strip across the bottom of
the screen..The left part of the panel was now at the top of the
screen). More interesting was that a number of the menu items in the
'Fedora' menu had disappeared: administration, utilities, control
center...Even MORE interesting was that none of the available menus had
an entry for 'Console' or 'Terminal'. I know  GUI stuff is supposed to
replace the need for a command line but this was..absurd.

After a little headscratching, I did a Ctl-Alt-F1, and ran 'switchdesk
kde'. Reboot gave me back my KDE desktop BUT the menus are still messed
up. I have the desktop icons back and the panel, but the Administration,
Control Center and Utilities menu items are still missing. (Both
Accessories and Games now list waaaaaayyyy more programs than before).

And the Menu Editor entry does nothing....

Any ideas anyone, about how I get those entries back?

Geoff