Scanner whoa-s - Finding my HP ScanJet scanner on FC6

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Jan 12 22:02:12 UTC 2007

Whil Hentzen wrote:
> Trouble here in brew city...
>
> FC6 on a TP T30, fully patched and updated.
>
> HP ScanJet 6200C on a USB port that works fine with other devices
> (like a mouse and a camera.) The Linux compatibility list has this on
> the list.
>
> Scanner has been working fine with other systems for years.
>
> xsane 0.991 can't find the scanner.
>
> So I run sane-find-scanner both as me and as root, and it reports no
> results. Weird. I run lsusb and lo-and-behold...
>
> Bus 001 Device 011: ID..... Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 6200C
>
> Then I run xsane again and voila, there it is! Just posting this in
> case someone else is trying to do the same thing. "Don't know what I
> did, but it works now."
>
> I am happy, cuz it's a darn nifty scanner - big ol' flat bed.
>
> Whil Hentzen
> Milwaukee

This is an issue of usb drivers not loading until you perform the lsusb

This is a common problem for many ills.  Examples include but are not
limited to:
USB disk drives -- usb_storage is NOT loaded at boot, no matter what you
have in /etc/modprobe.conf (that I can figure).  Even custom udev rules
do not take effect until much later in the startup process.
USB serial devices
USB scanners -- USB printer/scanner combos work because cups will
'probe' usb devices if one is defined, thus loading the USB drivers you
need for both printer and scanner when cups starts.

The cure, which is still in the mystery stages in my mind, is to 'white
list' the usb drivers such that the kernel will load them at boot.

If someone would provide an example here of how to white list
usb_storage, many of us would be very grateful.

Thanks!