FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 13 01:47:18 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 03:03, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
> How do I find out if the kernels installed are the type that Kam refers to?

You might try running the below.
cat /boot/config* |grep SMP

I get this output on FC6.
CONFIG_SMP=y
# CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
CONFIG_SUSPEND_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
# CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
CONFIG_SUSPEND_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_SMP=y

This is not a professional approach, (no doubt) you might try
cat /boot/config-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 |grep SMP
   depending on your kernel version.

So I guess that you would append each of the versions listed below after
/boot/config.

> According to synaptic the six kernels I have installed are:
> 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5   (this one shutsdown completely)
> 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
> 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
> 2.6.18-1.2200_FC5
> 2.6.18-1.2239_FC5
> and
> 2.6.18-1.2257_FC5
>
> I dont have any of the smp ones installed, as I only have a single processor.
>
> None of the ones on the first list would shutdown completely as of recently,
> apart from kernel 2.6.15, (which was the original one from the install
> cdroms) . The others were shutting down completely, until some, as of yet
> illusive upgraded package that appears to have changed the behaviour of how
> later kernels than 2.6.15 deal with acpi.
>
> Tims suggestion to use acpi=force has worked for me on FC5, but has not solved
> Aarons problems on FC6.

Maybe someone with knowledge of what changes can be made to the kernel
config file or whatever can chime in. Unfortunately, I have no idea. I
just know adding acpi=on in my past systems was needed since acpi was
configured off or on at different times during the severn beta cycle.

> I said on my reply to Aaron, I'm going to do a fresh install of FC5 over one
> of my FC3 installs, on the same machine with the problems. I will install all
> the kernels that are on the existing FC5 on this machine, then do the updates
> a few at a time. Hopefully I have most of the updates
> in /var/cache/apt/archives amongst the 3 installs I have of FC5 at present.
> If I can avoid hours of dialup downloading of updates it will put me in a
> better frame of mind, but am determined to find out which of these darned
> packages has messed with acpi.

Good luck on your quest to pinpoint the origins of trouble with some
computers after upgrades were applied.

> I'll be back, maybe admitting that I'm defeated, but I'll be back.

I'm interested in what is causing these errors myself. I fortunately do
not have those problems now with the present kernels. There was a bug
awhile back that caused problems with complete shutdown of the system.
It was corrected but I have no idea as to what fixed the problem. Maybe
there is a patch that was applied and now was removed, I don't know.

sorry I'm not able to give more knowledgeable information to you though.

See you with the verdict. :-)

Jim

--
"The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."