cifs password length?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 14 01:48:48 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13 January 2007 16:12, Craig White wrote:
[...]
>----
>If you are speaking of password entries in /etc/samba/smbpasswd, those
>are the already hashed password using standard Windows NT hash
>algorithm.
>
>If you want to set a password for say, user gene...
>
>smbpasswd gene
>(it prompts you to enter a password)
>
>this is then 'hashed' and written to /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
>Craig

Thanks Craig.

I added gene to smbusers, which looked ok, and I hoped that would stop
smbpasswd from complaining about a non-existent user, but it didn't.

And it still won't set a passwd hash into the smbpasswd file which is
currently 0600 and owned by root, and zero bytes long.  And I was doing
that as root of course...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)