cifs password length?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 14 22:12:25 UTC 2007

On Sunday 14 January 2007 13:44, Craig White wrote:
>On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 20:48 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 13 January 2007 16:12, Craig White wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> >----
>> >If you are speaking of password entries in /etc/samba/smbpasswd,
>> > those are the already hashed password using standard Windows NT hash
>> > algorithm.
>> >
>> >If you want to set a password for say, user gene...
>> >
>> >smbpasswd gene
>> >(it prompts you to enter a password)
>> >
>> >this is then 'hashed' and written to /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>> >
>> >Craig
>>
>> Thanks Craig.
>>
>> I added gene to smbusers, which looked ok, and I hoped that would stop
>> smbpasswd from complaining about a non-existent user, but it didn't.
>>
>> And it still won't set a passwd hash into the smbpasswd file which is
>> currently 0600 and owned by root, and zero bytes long.  And I was
>> doing that as root of course...
>
>----
>a samba user - say 'gene' must also be a Linux user too.

gene is, albeit not a frequent login, usually via su.

>there are many different password db systems that can be used for samba
>but /etc/samba/smbpasswd is the default if not specified otherwise. You
>may wish to check what you have set in smb.conf
>
># testparm -sv |grep passdb

Interesting Craig.

After processing 3 sections, no errors shown,
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
	passdb backend = smbpasswd
	passdb expand explicit = no

But I'm not 100% sure what that's trying to tell me.

>by default, perms on smb.conf are 644
># ls -l /etc/samba/smb.conf
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         4210 Feb  1
>2005 /etc/samba/smb.conf

And so is lmhosts & smbusers here. Everything else is 0600.

>Official Samba documentation is here...
>
>http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

I'll check that out, thanks.

>Craig