Apache Web Server + Tomcat5 in FC6

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Mon Jan 15 02:32:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 11:26 -0600, Weiqi Gao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm upgrading my Pebble (http://pebble.sourceforge.com) based weblog
> from FC3 to FC6.

>   Since FC6 includes both Apache httpd and Tomcat5, is there an
> "official" way of connecting the two?  I saw a
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/proxy_ajp.conf file on my FC6 machine.  Is that the
> way to go?

I don't think there is an "official" way to connecting the two -- there
are 2 ways that I know of, and they are:
-- configuring Apache as a reverse proxy
-- configuring the Apache-Tomcat connector (I think it's called mod_jk2
-- note that jk2 and mod_jk have been deprecated)

The easier way is to configure httpd as reverse proxy IMHO. Of course,
if you expect a lot of traffic to your blog, then you may want to
consider the connector.

Or you could dispense with Apache httpd completely and use only Tomcat.

> My question for the JPackage folks is this:
>
>   In the unfortunate event that I don't get an answer that I can use
> from the Fedora folks, can I use JPackage's version of Tomcat5 on FC6?
>  And if I use JPackage's Tomcat5, can I still use mod_jk from
> JPackage?  What is your recommended way of fronting my Tomcat webapps
> through httpd?

I tried configuring and using JPackage last week and it seems to be more
than a little tricky, especially where the Tomcat package is concerned.
Be advised that there seems to be a permissions problem in the RPM where
the log file 'catalina.out' cannot be created or written to, so you will
need to create that file and assign the proper permissions to it before
starting Tomcat, or you will have a crash.

HTH

pascal chong